Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Assessment Task

Crashing down

There I was enjoying the wind on my face on just one more ride home. He and I were classmates in high school, so he’d always give a lift home. But that day changed our lives…

I loved riding his bike but that day I wasn’t in the mood for it. One moment of distraction was enough to change everything. Suddenly a car crossed our lane and we were undoubtedly going to crash it. All I thought was: “I’m not going to grab anything, neither the bike nor him, whatever happens, it happens.” For one second I had no idea where I was, I struck his helmet and fainted.

The next thing I remember was waking up in the hospital and hearing my dad’s voice. I felt numb but I didn’t break one single bone. “Where is Miguel?” I asked. My dad replied me: “He is in surgery”. I sighed in despair, I couldn’t believe it. There I was, unharmed. And him? He came back with metal plates inside his leg. While he was talking to his parents, an old lady came to me and said I was the luckiest girl, because I had flown over the truck where we crashed, fallen on the other side and I was just fine. Miguel still has metal plates in his leg and has a weird walk.

The truth is we were pretty reckless but at least I got something from all of this, life is not guaranteed. Just one slip and it can all come tumbling down. After this happened I learned to value every moment. I started to realize how precious my life, my family and my friends are. I feel like a more positive person, because I appreciate the simple things in life. I don’t want to live my life on the edge anymore but just have a balanced lifestyle. It’s not like I wasn’t like this before, but after an experience like that things seem more worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment